Midland ISD School Board
The Midland ISD Board of Trustees was named one of the best boards in the state when it was declared a Texas Regional Honor Board in 2015.
Seven members of the Midland community are elected by voters from single-member districts to serve on the School Board. The Midland ISD School Board conducts district programs in accordance with the state constitution and standards set by the Texas Education Agency (TEA). A policy-making body, the board delegates day-to-day administration to Superintendent Orlando Riddick, who oversees all professional staff.
Major responsibilities of the School Board include:
- Selecting a Superintendent of Schools
- Approving school personnel as recommended by the superintendent
- Adopting goals for the district
- Reviewing and acting on policies
- Adopting an annual budget and setting the tax rate
- Communicating the district's progress to the public
School Board's Student Outcome Goals:
- The percentage of students in kindergarten–grade 2 who are reading on or above grade level on two measures shall increase from 50 percent to 75 percent by the end of school year 2020.
- The percentage of students in grades 3–8 who meet standards on both reading and mathematics STAAR shall increase from 52 percent to 75 percent by the end of school year 2020.
- The four-year graduation rate shall increase from 85 percent for the graduating class of 2015 (reported in November 2016) to 95 percent for the graduating class of 2020 (reported in November 2021).
- 100% of Midland ISD Instructional Expectations for 2017-2018 will be met.
The Board of Trustees appreciates your interest in the policies and governance of the public education system in Midland. Public participation and open communication are vital to the educational environment of the more than 26,000 students served in the district.
Midland ISD Board of Trustees Operating Procedures
Rick Davis, President
District 6 - Term Expires 2018
Karen Nicholson, Vice President
District 5 - Term Expires 2018
James Fuller, Secretary
District 1 - Term Expires 2020
Bryan Murry, Trustee
District 7 - Term Expires 2020
Tommy Bishop, Trustee
District 3 - Term Expires 2018
John Kennedy, Trustee
District 4 - Term Expires 2020
Robert Marquez, Trustee
District 2 - Term Expires 2020