Enlisted careers in the military all require a high school diploma.  Officer positions generally have completed a 4-year college degree or higher before serving.  Use the resources below to explore the different types of career opportunities available to military service members. There are several military programs that help service members pay for college.


    • Applying to a military service academy is just like applying to any well regarded college, but in addition you must obtain a nomination from your Member of Congress.

    • Members of Congress may nominate up to 10 individuals to compete for each vacancy. Every U.S. Representative and U.S. Senator is also allotted five constituents to attend the Academies at any one time.

    • You should apply for a nomination from your U.S. representative and your two U.S. senators.  A Congressional nomination does not guarantee that students will receive their Service Academy appointments.

    • Visit Senate.gov and House.gov to obtain the name of your senators and representatives.