George T. Abell
Mr. Abell was chairman for the original fundraising effort to build Midland Memorial Hospital. One of Midland's original pioneer oilmen and philanthropists, Mr. Abell also served as president of the Board of Education of the Midland Independent School District when the Midland High School Auditorium was built. He also led the capital funds campaign for the Buffalo Trails Council of the Boy Scouts, which secured the 6,000 acre scout camp in the Davis Mountains. While serving as a director of the Midland Chamber of Commerce, he originated the idea for the Permian Basin Petroleum Museum. He personally researched and commissioned many of the oil paintings of historical events which are now displayed on the museum grounds.
Mr. and Mrs. George T. Abell aspired to great hopes and dreams for their country and mankind and they envisioned the fulfillment of noble purposes for their own community. In 1954, they created the Abell-Hanger Foundation to further these noble purposes and forever touch the lives of the people they would never meet.
George Abell was a successful man not only because of his savvy in the oil business, but also for his love of the country in which he lived and his love for its people and its history. He was a self-made man who always felt obligated to return to the land part of what he had earned; he gave back far more than he had received.