Midland ISD Nine Core Character Traits
1. Citizenship: Be a volunteer, serve your school and community, and encourage others to do likewise. Know and live by the principles on which the United States of America was founded. Obey the law. Learn the history of your state and nation. Honor democracy. Vote. Stay informed about your country and its role in the world.
2. Compassion: Show that you care about self, others, and the environment through kindness, concern and generosity. Demonstrate empathy for the feelings of others. Give of yourself and what you have for the benefit of others.
3. Courage: Take a stand. Hold to your convictions. Be willing to sacrifice self-interest for the greater good. Risk failure. Risk disfavor from others. Overcome fear and adversity.
4. Diligence: Work hard and work smart. Strive for excellence in everything you do. Do the best you can with what you have. Be attentive and persistent.
5. Fairness: Treat others as you would like to be treated. Listen and try to understand what others believe and feel. Be impartial. Give due credit to others. Be tolerant of diversity. Play by the rules; share with others. Strive for justice.
6. Honesty: Tell the truth. Be sincere. Be forthright and candid. Refrain from lying, stealing, cheating and misleading others.
7. Integrity: Hold firm to a high code of ethical principles and personal convictions. Be trustworthy and keep your promises and commitments. Abide by both the spirit and letter of an agreement. Exhibit appropriate loyalty in relationships. Be your best self.
8. Respect: Be courteous. Be considerate of other people's feelings, rights and property. Affirm individual rights and freedoms. Honor your parents, elders and those in positions of authority.
9. Responsibility: Demonstrate reliability, dependability, and accountability. Think before you act; consider and accept the consequences of your actions. Set a good example. Exercise self-control. Be disciplined. Fulfill all your obligations.