Financial Planning/Retirement Plan Options
Research shows that Americans are living longer and their number of years in retirement is increasing. While your Teacher Retirement System (TRS) pension may be enough to cover expenses during your initial retirement years, the reduced monthly income may not be sufficient for costly factors such as medical bills, taxes, and your desired standard of living. Contributing to a retirement savings plan can help supplement your pension during retirement.
Choosing to save with a 457(b) and/or a 403(b) allows you to save money in a pre-tax (Traditional) or after-tax (Roth) account. Contributions to the plan are salary-deducted from your paycheck and automatically deposited into your account. You may start and stop contributing at any time.
457(b) Savings Plan
- Employer-sponsored plan with fiduciary oversight by TCG Advisors and a committee of Superintendents/CFO’s.
- High-quality, low-fee investment options
- No commissions.
- No federal penalties for withdrawing funds from the account. Income tax still applies.
- Choose between target date funds, risk-based portfolios, or self-directed mutual funds.
403(b) Savings Plan
- Multi-vendor plan. You must research from a list of 50+ vendors and decide the best fit for you.
- Fees and investments vary per vendor.
- Commissions vary per vendor.
- 10% early withdrawal penalty (goes away at age 59 1/2 or age 55 if retired).
- Investment options vary by vendor, including fixed/variable annuities and mutual funds.
Registration & Plan Notices