July 27, 2020 - Board votes to rename Robert E. Lee High School
August 6, 2020 - Board appoints Citizens' Renaming Committee
August 20, 2020 - First committee meeting
Introductions and discussions of Roles and Responsibilities.
August 27, 2020 - Second committee meeting
The Committee discussed the name change and the Committee’s role in that process. The discussion and response portion of the meeting followed the procedures discussed in the first meeting. Each member was given the opportunity to share their thoughts. Each member then had an opportunity to respond to the comments made by other Committee members. No action or vote was taken at the meeting.
September 3, 2020 - Third committee meeting
At our third meeting, each Committee member proposed a name for consideration. All name proposals were recorded by the Co-Chairs. Committee members then voted for their top 5 names from the list. The Co-Chairs recorded the member votes. The Committee will move forward with the 5 names that receive the most votes. Those names were: Midland Carver Lee High School, Tall City High School, Basin High School, Lee High School, and Legacy of Equality and Excellence High School.
September 10, 2020 - Fourth committee meeting
At our fourth meeting, the Committee discussed the final 5 proposed names. The discussion and response portion of the meeting followed the same procedures. After the discussion and response portion of the meeting, the Co-Chairs asked members to vote in favor of 1 name out of the 5 proposed names. The Co-Chairs will record the votes. The 3 names that receive the most votes moved forward. Those names were: Tall City High School, Legacy of Equality and Excellence High School, and Carver Lee High School.
September 17, 2020 - Fifth committee meeting
At our fifth meeting, the Committee discussed the final 3 proposed names. The discussion portion of the meeting will follow the same procedures. After the discussion and response portion of the meeting, the Co-Chairs askedthe members to vote in favor of 1 name out of the 3 proposed names. This was the Committee’s final vote on the name recommendation. The Co-Chairs recorded the votes. The Co-Chairs will then present the total vote tally for each of the 3 names and identify which name came in first, second, and third. Legacy of Equality and Excellence High School finished first with 12 votes. Tall City High School received 9 votes. Carver Lee High School received 1 vote.
September 24, 2020 - Sixth committee meeting
At our sixth meeting, the Committee discussed school mascots and colors.
October 14, 2020 - Recommendation presented
The Committee presented, as its recommendation to the Board, the name that receives the most amount of votes out of the three. The Committee will also present to the Board the number of votes each of the three names received.
October 14, 2020 - Board votes to rename school
The School Board voted to change the name of Lee High School to Legacy High School. The mascot will remain the Rebels, though with a Revolutionary War theme. The colors will remain maroon and white.
December 21, 2020 - February 8, 2021
Students submitted depictions of the new Rebel mascot.
January 12, 2021 - Rebranding work
Representatives of LHS and LFHS met to advance the work necessary to rebrand Lee High School to Legacy High School for the 2021-22 school year. This committee will meet regularly to ensure that each department, specifically Athletics, Fine Arts and Facility Design Services remains focused on the tasks necessary for rebranding.
- January 19 - February 8, 2021 - Interested graphic design firms may submit a branding package in response to RFP #20-30 which includes: a logo, crest or seal, mascot, school colors (specific shades), and school fonts. The Board has previously determined that colors will be maroon and white and the mascot will be a Revolutionary War-era Rebel.
- An RFP Review Committee will select up to two branding packages and award contract(s) to these design firms.
- Simultaneously, the Citizens' Renaming Committee will select the top two mascot depictions as created by students. These designs will be refined by one of the awarded design firms.
- Students at LHS and LFHS will vote on their favorite mascot depiction from the two selected by the Committee.
- The awarded design firm(s) will work with campus and district staff to develop and apply the new logo, mascot, seal and fonts to LHS merchandise, uniforms, and school furnishings and fixtures.