The Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer, or P-EBT, application is now open. P-EBT is for children who received SNAP food benefits for March 2020 and for children who were certified for free or reduced-price school meals during the 2019-20 Texas school year. You could receive up to $285 per child on a P-EBT card to purchase food at stores. Visit hhs.texas.gov/PEBT for more information. If you have not received P-EBT information from your school, please contact 833-613-6220.
Pandemic Electronic Benefits Transfer (P -EBT)
The deadline to apply for P-EBT food benefits has been extended to August 21. Please review the criteria to see if your family is eligible and needs to apply for benefits. Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT) is a one-time benefit for eligible families to buy food. Immigration status does not matter when applying for P-EBT. The public charge rule does not apply to P-EBT benefits.
P-EBT is for children 5-18 years old who received SNAP food benefits for the month of March 2020. P-EBT is also for children up to 21 years old who are certified for free or reduced-price meals through the National School Lunch Program at school during the 2019-20 school year. Children that attend a school that offers free meals to all students (Community Eligibility Provision or Provision 2) are also eligible.
Do you need to apply?
Eligible families that DID NOT get SNAP benefits for the month of March 2020
- You will need to apply to receive P-EBT benefits.
- Fill out an application here: https://yourtexasbenefits.com/Learn/PEBT (the URL is case-sensitive)
- It is important to put a valid phone number on the application because Texas Health and Human Services staff may need to call to approve the application.
- The application is open until August 21, 2020.
- If you do not currently get SNAP benefits and your child is approved for P-EBT, you will be mailed a P-EBT card loaded with benefits.
Eligible families that DID get SNAP benefits for the month of March 2020
- You do not need to apply for children ages 5-18. Benefits were loaded onto your existing SNAP card by May 22.
- If you have eligible children under 5 and/or between the ages of 19 and 21, you will need to fill out an application for those children. These children must have been approved for free or reduced-price school meals or attend a school that offered free meals to all students through the National School Lunch Program. Fill out an application here: https://yourtexasbenefits.com/Learn/PEBT (the URL is case-sensitive)
- If you get SNAP benefits and your child under 5 and/or between the ages of 19 and 21 is approved for P-EBT, funds will be added to your current Lone Star Card.
P-EBT is a one-time benefit for families issued through an EBT card (like a debit card). Families receive up to $285 per eligible child. You will have one year from the date the benefits were issued to use your P-EBT benefits. P-EBT benefits are non-transferrable.
For more information, please visit http://hhs.texas.gov/pebt. For questions regarding eligibility or if you need help applying, contact the P-EBT Call Center at 833-613-6220 Monday through Friday, 8:00 am – 6:00 pm.