If your student is enrolled in MISD, and you wish to obtain more information about a dyslexia evaluation, please contact the campus principal or Tricia Elrod at 432-240-1445.
As defined in TEC §38.003:
(1) Dyslexia means a disorder of constitutional origin manifested by a difficulty in learning to read, write, or spell, despite conventional instruction, adequate intelligence, and sociocultural opportunity.
(2) Related disorders includes disorders similar to or related to dyslexia, such as developmental auditory imperception, dysphasia, specific developmental dyslexia, developmental dysgraphia, and developmental spelling disability.
The current definition of Dyslexia from the International Dyslexia Association states:
Dyslexia is a specific learning disability that is neurological in origin. It is characterized by difficulties with accurate and/or fluent word recognition and by poor spelling and decoding abilities. These difficulties typically result from a deficit in the phonological component of language that is often unexpected in relation to other cognitive abilities and the provision of effective classroom instruction. Secondary consequences may include problems in reading comprehension and reduced reading experience that can impede growth of vocabulary and background knowledge (Adopted by the International Dyslexia Association Board of Directors, November 12, 2002).
Click on the link below to read the Texas Education Dyslexia Handbook. You will find information regarding procedures explaining Dyslexia and Related Disorders.
- Updates to the Dyslexia Handbook 2021: https://tea.texas.gov/sites/default/files/texas-dyslexia-handbook-2021.pdf
- English: Important Changes for Families to Understand/Dyslexia Handbook Update 2021: https://tea.texas.gov/sites/default/files/2021_dyslexia_handbook_important_changes_for_families.pdf
- Spanish: Cambios Importantes Que Las Familias Deben Entender/Actualización del manual de dislexia 2021: https://tea.texas.gov/sites/default/files/2021_dyslexia_handbook_important_changes_for_families_spanish.pdf