Preparing for the Next Step
What’s your plan? It is not too early to begin planning for college or career. In early grades, students should begin to become aware of different types of occupations. Please use the resources found throughout the MISD "What's Your Plan?" site to explore college or career options.
In addition, student mindset is an important indicator of academic achievement. Help us to "plant the seed" that your student has intelligence and talents that can and will be developed. Learners with a growth mindset believe intelligence and skills can be developed. We ask parents to partner with us in teaching the following traits:
persist in the face of setbacks
consider effort as the path to mastery
find lessons and inspiration in the success of others
Here is a site that may help you learn more about "Growing Your Child's Learning Muscles" (growth mindset).
Explore options to begin paying for college now using Texas PrePaid Plans.
- College For All Texans – Get the Facts, Plan, Apply
- Generation Texas – Equal Parts Inspiration and Information
- Texas Reality Check – Will You Be Able to Afford the Lifestyle You Want?
- College Scorecard- Compare Colleges with Real-Time Data
- Texas Gear Up – Answer Your Burning College Questions
- Texas Career Check – An Exploration Toolkit for Students
- Launch My Career TX – Find Programs of Study that Lead to Well Paying Jobs
- Career One Stop – Your Source for Career Exploration, Training and Jobs
- Texas Crews – An Interactive Site to Compare Texas Post-Secondary
Further learning for parents on mindset.