• Gifted/Talented and Advanced Academic Services

    Students who enter our campuses "ready to go" either as an expert or other advanced learner will find choices that support annual academic growth.  The G/T & AAS program seeks to find areas of student strength and accomplishment and provides services that encourage a year of growth for each year of school. The Midland ISD Board of Trustees approved provision for elementary G/T services is QUEST for Kindergarten and GEM at Carver Center for grades 1-6.  A talent readiness program, Project THINK, is provided at each elementary campus to aid students who may qualify for GEM at the end of first grade.  Secondary campuses provide designated G/T sections in advanced studies on each campus to include but not be limited to College Board AP© courses as well as courses in preparation for AP© courses, dual credit courses, PSAT and SAT preparation, Academic Decathlon, and others which are determined to be beneficial to the unique populations served.  Campus counselors can provide guidance related to entering services.

  • January 1, 2019:

    January is the General Nomination Period for grades 1-11!  The Kindergarten General Nomination Period is October!  Applications will be on every MISD campus; non-MISD campuses may request applications be brought to their campuses.  Any student residing in the MISD attendance area may apply (be nominated).

    New to MISD (within two weeks of entry):

    • G/T Identification:
      Students entering MISD from another district who wish to enroll in Carver Center or the Secondary G/T program will need to complete and return a "G/T Services Request" form to G/T & AAS within three (3) weeks of district entry.  If the student was a G/T identified student in the prior school district, the parents will need to request copies of the G/T identification records as well.  Assessment sessions will be set up to determine eligibility.
    • Advanced Academic Services:
      Students wishing admission to secondary programming who were not G/T in the prior district but who wish to be enrolled in advanced courses may contact the student's assigned counsellor for information.