Advanced notice of campus wide emergency DRILL
Dear Students and Parent/Guardians:
On Tuesday April 22, 2014 at 10:00 am and Wednesday April 23 at 9:30 am Midland College will conduct a CAMPUS WIDE lock down/shelter in place DRILL. The DRILL is designed to familiarize the Midland College students, staff, and Emergency Response Teams of Midland with what to do in the event of an emergency on campus.
The drill will begin with a text message notification along with an audible message over the emergency notification system speakers located throughout all buildings on campus. The messages will state: This is a shelter in place drill for Midland College Main Campus. Please shelter in place at this time, THIS IS ONLY A DRILL.
All persons on campus must:
· IMMEDIATELY seek shelter in the nearest classroom
· Do NOT attempt to get back to ECHS@MC if you are out on campus
· Do NOT attempt to get to your vehicle if you are out on campus
· Lock doors, windows, etc. and wait for further instructions
· Turn off the lights
· Move away from any doors or windows
· DO NOT open the door until notified that the drill has concluded
· All electronic door locks will be locked. If a room is equipped with a mechanical lock; that lock should be engaged. However, persons in those classrooms must verify the mechanical lock is engaged.
Evaluators will be placed throughout campus to observe the response. The entire drill should only take 5-10 minutes. If necessary this drill will be repeated in order to improve responses.
An all clear broadcast and text message will be sent at the conclusion of the drill and the campus will resume normal operations.
The purpose of this drill is to test the college’s ability to lock down quickly and effectively if faced with a potential dangerous situation, such as a person with a gun on campus.
If there are any questions please contact ECHS@MC at 432-413-7086.
Because ECHS@MC graduation takes place during the week, it will not be televised “live”. However it will be re-broadcasted Friday night May 16th at 12:00am for those that are unable to attend in person.
Order forms to buy graduation DVD’s from KMID Big 2 will be available for pickup in the ECHS@MC front office.